Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Boogster's DC NL Cash August 16, 2005

This is the second time I've played with this group of players in downtown DC, less than a mile from the Capitol and the White House. When I got there last night, they were temporarily banished to the roof till the clubhouse was open. Not great for poker, but great views of the Washington Monument at least.

Early on I went all-in on pocket Aces against pocket kings with a king on the board. Oops. I was able to make up for it on the second buy-in and leave ahead of the game.

After having played with these guys twice, I feel like I'm starting to get a feel for their starting hand requirements, and who bluffs, and who almost never bluffs, which makes it a little easier to lay down a hand or two even when I feel like I've got decent holdings. I've laid down two pair at least once or twice, depending on who I'm up against and what's on the board, of course. They're starting to catch on to me as well, of course, which means that I have to change gears enough to keep them guessing. After I had taken a few players in on all-in bets in which I had the nuts, my raises were given much more respect than they had been early in the evening.

Here's a cute hand from last night:

Me: BB with K2os

Flop K2x with two hearts.

I re-raise the initial SB post-flop bet from 3BB to 10BB. Bluffy calls.

Turn: x-Heart

I make another 10BB bet. Bluffy thinks a while and calls.

River: 2

I go all in (another 27BB or so). Bluffy thinks a while and calls.

Bluffy was trying to sucker me into pushing him off his hand. He apparently wasn't ready to throw away his Nut Flush to my potential boat. Maybe he should have value bet on the turn.

Is it just me, or does the betting sequence above remind you of the climax in the move 'the Cincinnati Kid' where the Man bets incorrectly and the kid misinterprets the disinformation?