Sunday, February 26, 2006

My first Deep Stacks Tourney on PokerTards

I didn't make it through the first level, but got donked just as I would have in any other tourney. Check out this stellar play on hand 17.

(Deep Stacks is 5000 in chips, 30 minutes blinds. Take your time, pick your moments, etc. )

*********** # 17 **************
Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/02/26
- 12:19:21 (ET)
Table '20002607 209' Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: PeterVA (6090 in chips)
Seat 2: FrankNagaiJr (4920 in chips)

FNJ - I had been involved in at least four pots, getting as low as 4200 and bouncing back up.
Seat 3: TheBlackCat (4930 in chips)
Seat 4: rakemup (3410 in chips)
Seat 5: toddc (4810 in chips)
Seat 6: themm1 (4500 in chips)
Seat 7: milkshakeman (4410 in chips)
Seat 8: SunnyGod (5050 in chips)
Seat 9: Mr.Burger (5480 in chips)
Mr.Burger: posts small blind 10
PeterVA: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to FrankNagaiJr [Td Qc]
FrankNagaiJr: calls 20

FNJ - Not an ideal UTG limp, but SunnyGod was playing table captain, and I knew that if he bumped it up and I caught, I could collect. If the whole table was tight, I would let this hand go UTG.

TheBlackCat: folds
rakemup: calls 20
toddc: raises 100 to 120
themm1: folds
milkshakeman: folds
SunnyGod: folds
Mr.Burger: calls 110
PeterVA: folds
FrankNagaiJr: calls 100
rakemup: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [Ks Tc Qd]

FNJ - OK, I've got two pair, and I think it's a reasonable assertion that the raiser did not make it 6BB on AJ, based on what I'd seen. I guess we could also consider pocket Kings, (or the unlikely) Tens or Queens too. It's also easy to visualize the other two calling with AJ, since I had already seen Mr. Burger call a similar raise with AJ, and stick around on a flush board with two pair to win.

Let's test the waters via a check raise....

Mr.Burger: checks
FrankNagaiJr: checks
rakemup: bets 60
toddc: calls 60
Mr.Burger: folds
FrankNagaiJr: raises 260 to 320
rakemup: calls 260
toddc: raises 4370 to 4690 and is all-in

FNJ - This was an almost instantaneous reraise to all-in. If you had a made hand, would you want to chase everybody out of the pot?

FrankNagaiJr: raises 110 to 4800 and is all-in

FNJ This call took me maybe 5 seconds to make. I ruled out AJ, and was very suspicious of trips. He turns over AA, so let's count his outs:

2 Aces
3 Kings
4 Jacks

I guess that's not a ridiculous move on his part. Given that this is deep stacks, he could have considered seeing the turn for a mere 260 more, but dammit, he had aces.


rakemup: folds
*** TURN *** [Ks Tc Qd] [Jc]


FNJ
- Can I please have one of my four outs to win, or an ace to tie?

*** RIVER *** [Ks Tc Qd Jc] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
FrankNagaiJr: shows [Td Qc] (two pair, Queens and Tens)
toddc: shows [Ad Ah] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
FrankNagaiJr said, "nice catch"
toddc collected 10200 from pot


FNJ Not my finest hour. In the end, my hunch was right that I was ahead on the flop, but I didn't consider how many outs top pair actually had. I was only the 61% favorite at the flop, so his move was not as ridiculous as it seemed at the moment. But man, the thought of doubling up was just too tantalizing to walk away from. In retrospect, I was the donk.